Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Cheap Thrills: Freebies

Today’s post was inspired by this article and this one. Far too often consumers don’t realize that we can haggle and that just because an item is marked with a price, we don’t necessarily have to pay it. I thought I would share a few of my own great freebie moments in history and a tip that may raise some eyebrows but is pretty effective.

The Lot

Recently I haggled over a parking lot fee of $7.00. I don’t know what possessed me to do it – though I’m sure my paltry paycheck had something to do with it – but I was just outraged at paying $7 when I would be in the store for all of fifteen minutes (and it was a Sunday!) I got out of the car with $10 in my pocket and that was reserved for food so paying for parking was simply not going to happen. I breezed past the parking booth and the attendant came rushing out.

“Seven dollars.”

“Seven dollars?!”

“Yes,” he held out his hand.

I calmly explained to the parking attendant that that was highway robbery. It just made no sense to me to pay $7 for parking in a lot on a Sunday for fifteen minutes.

“That’s the price ma’am.”

“Then I’ll have to park somewhere else.”

“Fine.”

“Really, I’m going inside the store for 15 minutes. Does it really make sense to you that I pay $7 to park for fifteen minutes?!”

He actually considered my argument (or my sanity perhaps) for a moment, made me promise to return in fifteen minutes, and let me park for free! Of course with parking, you have to know the rules of the city. In D.C., you generally don’t have to pay for parking at meters on the weekends – especially Sundays – and holidays, so it just doesn’t make sense for lots to charge a fee considering you can find street parking at a meter for free, albeit farther away from your destination. Sure, the attendant could have told me no, but you never know if you don’t try.


The Grocery Store

Another freebie moment occurred at the grocery store. I went in late one night in search of bread at the last minute for a meal I planned to prepare the next day. Apparently, you can get bread at a reduced price from the grocery bakery if you shop near the close of business because they serve fresh baked bread in the morning. I found this all out accidentally as I wandered around with a loaf of bread in my hand in search of a staff member who could help me with a question. (I honestly don’t recall what I wanted to ask about a loaf of bread). A manager breezed past and caught me quizzically staring at the loaf of bread. She answered my question and let me have the loaf for free because they served a fresh batch every morning. I don’t know if that means that loaf would have been tossed come 4 a.m. or what, but I didn’t question it. (Although for a moment, I did wonder whether I looked destitute or something, but trust and believe that moment was fleeting. LOL) I strolled out with my free loaf of bread and happy as a clam.

Frugal Chick’s Tip:
Flirt Your Way to Freebies

I know what you’re thinking: “Have you no shame, Frugal Chick??” I sure don’t. I’m of the belief that you can pretty much talk your way into anything if you turn on the charm. I’m not saying to do or say anything you wouldn’t normally do (although I’m not above showing some leg for a discount on, say, auto repairs *wink wink*) but at least be polite for godsakes. Even if you don't get a discount, you might get more bang for your buck (extra cheese on that pizza, extra chocolate on that sundae perhaps? Get the point?) I often see patrons behave rudely to staff and wonder what on earth they could be thinking. I've worked in the service industry and, let me tell you, rude customers get the short end of the stick. Don’t they know employees have discount cards? (or could tamper with your food??) Tread lightly people. You would be surprised how far a good attitude can go these days. I see the the "pseudo-boyfriend" employ the charm tactic all the time. Sure, it doesn’t always work, but again, you never know if you don’t try. I know it sounds manipulative but when you’re paying for a service or product, you have every right to be sure you get a deal out of it, or in the very least get what you paid for. Business is business. Hang your emotions up at the door. Half the time, you’re paying more for a product or service than you should be anyway and surely no one is crying when you fork over your hard-earned money. Just a thought

No comments: